First Day of First Month
The Lord (to Moses): On the first day of the first month you shall:
- Set up the tabernacle of the tent of the congregation.
- Put the ark of the testimony in it and cover the ark with the veil.
- Bring in the table and set in order the things that are to be set in order on it.
- Bring in the candlestick and light the lamps of it.
- Set the altar of gold for the incense before the ark of the testimony and put the hanging of the door to the tabernacle.
- Set the altar of the burnt offering before the door of the tabernacle of the tent of the congregation.
- Set the laver between the tent of the congregation and the altar, and shalt put water in it.
- Set up the court round about and hang up the hanging at the court gate.
- Take the anointing oil, and anoint the tabernacle, and all that is in it, and hallow it and all the vessels of it: and it shall be holy.
- Anoint the altar of the burnt offering and all his vessels, and sanctify the altar: and it shall be an altar most holy.
- Anoint the laver and his foot, and sanctify it.
- Bring Aaron and his sons to the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, and wash them with water.
- Put the holy garments on Aaron and anoint him and sanctify him; that he may minister to me in the priest’s office.
- Bring his sons and clothe them with coats.
- Anoint them, as you anointed their father, that they may minister to me in the priest’s office: for their anointing shall surely be an everlasting priesthood throughout their generations.
Moses did according to all that the Lord commanded him.
In the first month in the second year, on the first day of the month, Moses… followed the Lord’s instructions.
…So Moses finished the work.
Because Moses followed God’s instructions, something spectacular happened.
Then a cloud covered the tent of the congregation, and the glory of the Lord filled the tabernacle.
Moses was not able to enter into the tent of the congregation, because the cloud abode on it, and the glory of the Lord filled the tabernacle.
When the cloud was taken up from over the tabernacle, the children of Israel went onward in all their journeys. But if the cloud were not taken up, then they journeyed not till the day that it was taken up.
For the cloud of the Lord was on the tabernacle by day, and fire was on it by night, in the sight of all the house of Israel, throughout all their journeys.
Remember Passover began on the fourteenth day of the first month. The tabernacle would be ready for the sacrifices.